Thursday, November 20, 2008

Anyone Reading This Could Agree or Disagree

Armando was jumped by six guys the instant he alighted the G train at the Flushing stop. He was returning from the city, naturally. Or was he coming from south Brooklyn?
Positively the five or six thugs had been watching for some time. Weeks at least if not a few moments. Which reminds me of a film I had seen during the New York crime wave in the eighties. Either I had seen it myself or someone had doubtless mentioned it to me in full detail.
On third thought, perhaps I had never seen it entirely. Rather I dreamt it in all honesty.
While Armando lay on the corner sidewalk at Marcy and Flushing Avenues, or somewhere along Flushing, no one came to help or so he claimed much later.
After all no one was around to witness no one helping him. As I was saying earlier, while Armando lay beaten on the sidewalk, any number of the six boys took the keys to his girlfriend’s apartment. So they walked right in and helped themselves to a bag of cranberries and a deck of cards, which none of us neighbors could vouch for them possessing in the first place.
Perhaps they themselves had eaten the whole bag of raisins or miscellaneous dried fruit they happened to have in the pantry at any given time and simply forgot. At any rate, I was writing this paper oddly enough while this was taking place.
By this I mean the robbing of my neighbors in 2R. Neither of the tenants were home. In fact I was the only tenant in the building at the time. At least there was no evidence that anyone else had been in the building for at least several hours before the robbery and one or two hours after. Of course the robbers were there during that time, however.
Doubtless I did not hear anyone at all. I did not even hear the robbers or anyone else for that matter. That is why I could not say for sure that anyone was even in the building. As I mentioned earlier, it’s possible that my neighbors in 2R were never even robbed.
But still.
It is frightening to think that I was home with my window open nevertheless. My window, which I am now closing, rather I did just close, opens out to the back fire escape, which wraps around to my neighbors’ window, which was open after the robbery. More accurately, it had to be open during or even before the robbery took place.
I suspect I was on some level aware of strange men or women entering the building when they should not have been. The things we filter and deny.
We will never know, I am positive, the extent of objects they swiped from that place or what words, if any, were exchanged. Even if there was some tape recording it could have been a set up.
Perhaps the whole thing was a spontaneous act. Unquestionably it was not. There is always some level of uncertainty. For instance, the exact moment that I typed “moment” could never be measured in milliseconds. This immediate instant I could say never occurred since you had to read it to know it and I had to write it to become wise enough to acknowledge it. I do not of course have any idea what I mean by that, but on some level I do absolutely.
It is winter now and I suspect that I can rest assured that no further robberies will occur. Though one can never be positive. Right now some one is profiting off of an idea I had and I am indubitably convinced that is form of robbery. And it is winter.
It is believed by many that most crime in general happens during the month of August when everyone’s liver is a little hot and contaminated. Anyone reading this could agree or disagree with that statement. Even the data could go either way.
Should I even feel sympathy toward Armando or the 2R neighbors? Ostensibly there was no robbery. Ostensibly no one has any recollection of any robbery or neighbors for that matter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is curvaceous and provokes a vocal thought. i like how it works (it works). Words like "doubtless" "nevertheless" create a rotund world, totally porous, wall-less, lawless and unnecessarily proofless. write another one. this time, hopefully not from real life experience (for i do now wish this actual crime no anyone))

Anonymous said...

Will you write another like it? I'm a huge fan of your prose. Well, I'm a small fan but I am huge.
p.s have you read any

wrd verif: calingi